Friday, August 31, 2012

La Buongustaia is back! (sort of)

The other day my cousin asked me if I had a food blog. Of course I did! Then I realized that I hadn't updated it since I got back from Italy...almost TWO YEARS ago. Oops. What can I say? Life as a grad student doesn't leave a whole lot of spare time for blogging, unfortunately.

By way of excuse, let me tell you what exactly has kept me so busy:
- PhD qualifying examinations (I passed! yay!) and dissertation prospectus
- performing in a music ensemble
- the usual assortment of coursework and teaching, going to conferences, serving on committees, and other delights of academic life
- a couple of part-time jobs
- a summer internship with a Shakespeare festival
- a social life (no, really!)

But I have managed to find time to cook on occasion, despite all this, and sometimes I even manage to remember to take pictures.  Here are some of the greatest hits from 2010-11:

French-style fruit tart (vanilla pastry cream, topped with strawberries, plums, raspberries and apricot glaze)


apple tart -- from apples grown in my backyard!

Trifle (at Christmastime). I think it may have involved sour cherries and almonds.

Cassoulet, with homemade sausage and duck confit.

Fried chicken; carrot and cabbage slaw (mustardseeds and lime juice).

Homemade pumpkin ravioli with brown butter and sage. Not as ethereal as what I ate in Mantova, but still pretty good!

Involtini of zucchini and eggplant, filled with herbed ricotta cheese, baked in tomato sauce.

Braised baby artichokes. (Some of the best artichokes in the world are grown a few miles from where I live...lucky me!)

Pumpkin and carrot soup with fresh corn, chives and creme fraiche.

Seafood pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment